Cristiano Ronaldo News

Monday, October 09, 2006

Ronaldo playing to win



Manchester United winger Cristiano Ronaldo is refusing to play with caution when Portugal visit Poland in their next Euro 2008 qualifier on Wednesday.

The in-form Madeiran sparkled in the 3-0 win against Azerbaijan on Saturday, scoring twice to further enhance his record at international level.

Coach Luiz Felipe Scolari has admitted he would be satisfied with a draw in Chorzow, using the metaphor of being happy with a two-bedroomed apartment if you cannot afford three bedrooms.

However, Ronaldo is unwilling to adopt any defensive mentality.

"I go out to play for the victory, and I think the team does as well," he told Maisfutebol.

"Perhaps he wants to say that if we do not win, then we can collect points and this is what we are going to try to do.

"We do not go there to get a draw, but to win.

"We must do everything to win, knowing beforehand that Poland have a great team so we go there with much caution and a lot of respect, but always with the will to win."

The 21-year-old was happy with his display at the weekend as he was substituted after running the show.

"I want to give a similar exhibition or to improve still further because I can always improve things," he added.

"With Poland, it will be completely different because they have a better team, with stronger players who are more experienced and play in better championships.

"Hence, things becomes all the more difficult."

Ronaldo is a regular scorer for his country and is showing signs of developing into a truly world-class player, providing he can maintain his consistency.

"I don't think about records," he stressed. "I want to score goals, to play for my country but I try not to think about this - nor do I want to.

"My objective is to play well, to help the team and know that I have done my best."

Although admitting he would like to have another Portuguese player at Old Trafford, Ronaldo refused to comment on rumours linking Sporting's Nani with a move to United.

credit: http://www.eurosport.com/

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home